Motherhood isn’t easy but I love being a mom. I recall praying to God for many many years to bless me with a baby girl. Now that she’s here, OH BOY! Being a mother (especially a single one) is hard work. Why couldn’t she stay a baby forever?! I underestimated the job of being a mom but it has been by far the most rewarding. Eva is the equivalent of 3 kids all by herself. Her energy is on 100 daily until she knocks out. With that being said momma needs some “ME TIME” whenever she can get it. Whether it’s 30 minutes, an hour or a whole day, I live for those moments. I often feel guilty for even thinking I need a break from Eva but I’ve learned if I’m not good to myself, I’m no good for her. “ME TIME” is the fuel that keeps me upbeat instead of beating me up.
Here are 5 things I like to do when I’m kid free:
1) SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP – This is essential to your health and overall well being. The plan is always for at least 5-6 hours of extra sleep but for whatever reason it doesn’t always work out that way. So that good hour or 2 that I can get is heaven. I’m a lover of naps so when I have free time that’s the first thing I want to do.
2) DATE MYSELF – I like to take myself out to lunch and enjoy a good meal/drink. This is an opportune time for self-reflection. As mom’s we can be very hard on ourselves, so doing this at least once a month for me is therapeutic.
3) EXTRA LONG SHOWER – I think this is a big deal. The joy of being able to take a shower without hearing my name being called, the bathroom door opening and closing, asking for a snack or crying because this little person wants to join me is a dream come true. I simply turn on my Pandora radio, light my candles and sing my little heart out (bathroom acoustics are the best). From time to time I even bust some dances moves ?
4) MANI/PEDI WITH A SIDE OF SHOPPING – Besides the clean nails and pretty polish, the joy of being able to have a conversation with no kid(s) interrupting is wonderful. Whether it be alone or with girlfriends this is a woman’s space to regroup and get pampered. It’s a much needed activity to do when free of the little one(s). Now the shopping aka RETAIL THERAPY is a mood changer. When you feeling overwhelmed, what’s better than treating yourself to a cute outfit or that bag you’ve been eyeing for weeks or those shoes that will complete the entire look. JUST BUY IT! Like the saying goes “When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping”
5) GYM FLOW – For about 3 weeks now I have been spending at least 3-4 days at the gym for about 1.5 hrs. I put on my headphones, blast my music and completely zone out. Of course health wise it’s always a good idea to exercise but I consider it my own personal sanctuary. For me the mental workout outweighs the physical.
I have many other things I do during my “ME TIME” but I didn’t want to write an essay lol So mom’s how do you spent your time away from the kids?